The best way to lose weight fast for men and keep it off is to make a low-calorie balanced diet plan that you can follow for a long time. Except that, your daily routine exercise burns extra calories and keeps you fit and healthy. If you just want to drop a few kgs fast, there are various ways and tips you can follow to help you reach your short-term goals, too.
1. Try some specialized diet plans
Do the Mediterranean diet if you like fish and veggies. A plan like the Mediterranean diet may be able to help you sustain weight loss. Try the paleo diet to help you avoid processed foods.
Do the Whole30 diet to focus on whole foods. The idea behind this diet is to eliminate all processed foods from your diet for 30 days to cleanse your system of artificial ingredients and other processed items that are hard on your digestive system.
Do the raw food diet if you enjoy raw veggies and fruits. If you dislike meat and are tired of cooking, this one’s for you. The raw food diet consists entirely of foods that have not been cooked. You lose weight fast by consuming loads of fresh vegetables and fruits.
2. Pick smart substitutes for high-calorie foods
Most foods have healthier counterparts that will allow you to enjoy your favorite foods without unnecessary fat, sugar, and calories. Exchanging high-calorie processed foods and drinks for healthier alternatives can help you lose weight faster.
- Consider eating vegetarian a few days each week. By replacing meat with nutritious foods like beans, tofu, or lentils, you can cut significant amounts of your daily calorie intake while adding many nutrients to your diet.
- Eat delicious fruit for dessert rather than a processed cookie or cake.
- Swap potato chips and candy bars for snacks that are nutrient-rich and low in calories and fat. Try combining string cheese with a handful of grapes, spreading peanut butter on a few crackers, or dipping sliced red pepper into a few tablespoons of hummus.
- Try substituting vinegar and lemon juice for your regular salad dressing.
- Cook with a tablespoon of olive oil instead of butter. It has the same number of calories, but it is a healthier type of fat.
3. Avoid sugary drinks to save calories
Sugar-sweetened drinks can quickly add extra calories to your diet, so it’s best to cut them out. Eliminate sugary soda, sweetened tea and coffee, and juice from your diet. Instead, sip on water, tea, black coffee, or seltzer.
- Drinking water or unsweet tea instead of soda, coffee, alcohol, juice, or milk may help you cut hundreds of calories per day.
4. Consider more foods that fill you up
Some foods help you feel full faster and may help you stay fuller longer which can help you lose weight faster. Many of these foods contain protein, fat, or fiber. However, foods that help keep your blood sugar stable are also great options, as this helps you keep your appetite in check. Here are some great foods to incorporate if you want to feel fuller longer:
- Non-starchy vegetables
- Nuts and seeds
- Beans and legumes
- Leafy greens
5. Calculate the calories you can eat while losing weight
Start by finding your basal metabolic rate (BMR), which is how many calories you need to stay alive. Then, use an online calculator to estimate how many calories you burn through activity. Finally, subtract 500 calories for every pound you want to lose that week.
- To calculate your BMR, first get your weight in kilograms by multiplying your weight in pounds by .45. Next, get your height in centimeters by multiplying your total inches in height by 2.54. Then, use this formula to find your BMR: (10 x weight in kg) + (6.25 x height in cm) – (5 x age) – 161.
- To estimate the calories you burn through exercise, try this calculator: https://caloriecontrol.org/healthy-weight-tool-kit/get-moving-calculator/.
- For an easy way to estimate the number of calories you can eat, use an online calculator like this one: https://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/dri-calculator/.
- Calorie counting apps, like My Fitness Pal, usually do this calculation for you.
- Never eat fewer than 1200 calories a day, unless your doctor is supervising you. Eating fewer than 1200 calories a day is dangerous for your health.
7. Eat regular meals or snacks every 2-4 hours
Skipping meals isn’t the answer to losing weight, and it may even derail your efforts. Food gives you energy, so going too long without eating can leave you feeling tired, which decreases your activity level. Additionally, it triggers your body to crave high-calorie, high-sugar snacks for a quick energy boost. Instead of starving yourself, plan frequent, healthy meals.
- Regular meals and snacks also keep your blood sugar stable, which helps control your hunger levels.
8. Keep a food diary
Write down every meal, snack, and drink you consume. Track the quantity of food you’re eating, as well as the estimated calories of each item. Writing down what you eat helps you stay mindful about how much you’re eating and helps you stick to your goal.
- You can keep a paper diary or track your food digitally. Apps are a great way to easily track what you eat. For instance, you might try MyFitnessPal, which allows you to track your meals and has an easy to use food database with the nutrition information already entered.
- Don’t forget to include things like coffee mix-ins, condiments, salad dressing, and other items you add to foods or drinks.
8. Exercise daily for at least 30 minutes
Getting regular exercise helps you burn more calories, keep your heart healthy, and maintain your metabolism. Aim to do cardio activity most days, and do strength training 2-3 days a week. Choose an activity that you enjoy so that you’re more likely to stick with it.
- For example, you might walk, run, do aerobics, do an elliptical workout, cycle, or swim.
- At a minimum, you need 150 minutes of moderate exercise each week to maintain your good health.
- When you first start exercising, it’s normal for your body to retain water as it works to repair the muscle tissue you’re breaking down during your workout. This might make the scale tick up a few pounds, but this weight will fall off again once you get used to regular exercise.
- Choose exercises and workouts that match up with your fitness level.
- Combination of cardio and resistance training are important for overall body health, cardiovascular training is what will help you shed those pounds quickly.
- Variety is the key to both promoting a healthier you and keeping you motivated.
- Do strength training 2-3 times a week. Resistance training and weight training help you stay lean by building muscle and raising your metabolism, even when you’re not working out. Incorporate these exercises 2-3 times a week, with at least 1 rest day between your workouts.
Also Read: 10 Ways to Boost Motivation To Workout
9. Become more active throughout your day
Increase the amount of walking you do by choosing a far-away parking place or taking the stairs instead of an elevator. Make as many trips upstairs as possible or walk the dog three times a day. Additionally, dust, sweep and mop with vigor. The more you move, the more calories you burn.
- You might even start a hobby that involves moving around a bit, like gardening, carpentry, working on cars, or painting large canvases. This will help you burn more calories even when you’re not exercising.
10. Give enough rest to your body
Being properly rested will help you maintain sufficient energy throughout the day, making you less likely to overeat and less prone to injury during physical activity. Sleep deficiency has actually been linked to an inability to lose fat or lose weight, so getting enough sleep can really help you on your path to losing weight.
- Create a sleep routine to help you fall asleep faster. Relax for an hour or 2 before bed, and avoid screens during this time. Additionally, turn down your thermostat, make your room dark, and put on comfy PJs.
Keep in mind that any diet plan that reduces calories will help you lose weight fast. Despite popular belief, no specialized diet makes you lose weight faster due to the types of food you’re eating. However, some foods help you feel full longer and pack more nutrients, and specialized diets may encourage you to choose more of these foods.
Also Read: How To Overcome Stress (Stress Management)